Sunday, November 8, 2009

Week 10 Reading Notes

Web Search Engines, Part 1 and 2:
I was unable to access these articles, even connecting to the website through Pitt's SSL VPN. The articles appear to be available through this website for pay only, and I was unable to find any other website that carry them.

Current Developments and Future Trends for the OAI Protocol for Metadata:
The Open Archives Initiative is a program that operates with the goal of having institutions provide and share the metadata amongst one another and develop standards to facilitate this sharing of information. The Protocol for Metadata harvesting is a tool developed by the OAI for allowing searching and combining of already existing metadata which make use of various extant standards.

The Deep Web:
The Deep Web, as opposed to the surface web, is composed of web-pages that are not static links. They dynamic pages that are generated from unique database queries and searches, and thus traditional search engine methods pass over them, otherwise searching them would be a long ad hoc process.
But the deep web is filled with relevant information:
Public information contained there is 400-500 times larger than what is available on the surface web, and compromises 95% of the deep web's content.
Because of the amount of data that is available in the Deep Web, it is highly interesting and important to develop and employ alternative methods of web searching to access this information via a large scale search engine.

2 comments:

  1. Tim I also had a lot of problems with accessing the web search articles. It took a lot of playing around with it to get it to work. I believe I had to search Pitt's database for the source and manually do a title search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Deep Web article is really interesting, but confusing at first. The way you describe it as being dynamic really helped me clarify its meaning.

    ReplyDelete